Social Enterprise Mark CIC
Enabling social enterprises through independent accreditation
Social Enterprise Mark CIC is an award-winning international social enterprise accreditation authority, which recognises and builds the capabilities of social enterprises as competitive, sustainable businesses, dedicated to maximising social impact.
We have over ten years’ experience of providing clear standards for the social enterprise sector, defining what it means to be a genuine social enterprise.
We are the only social enterprise accreditation body to operate as a social enterprise and have been recognised in a number of sector awards, including the SE100 Index of the top 100 social enterprises in the UK.
Our world- first accreditations ensure that the business model remains ethical, credible and commercial.
We assure the business model remains credible, ethical and commercial through independent accreditation, which enables social enterprises to prove their credentials.
Supporting social enterprises to be competitive, sustainable businesses
We have seen a continued increase in the average financial performance of Mark holders.
For social enterprises that held one of our accreditations in both 2018/19 and 2019/20, the median average turnover reported by Mark Holders increased by almost £80,000, from <£1.7m to <£1.8m. Two thirds of Mark Holders reported an increase in their turnover in this period*.
Providing an international standard for social enterprise
We led the way in formalising an agreed definition of what constitutes genuine social enterprise. Since the launch of the Social Enterprise Mark back in 2010, we have acted as a beacon for promoting, upholding and developing the standards that underpin this.
The Social Enterprise Mark now has a presence in 10 different countries, including South Africa, Spain, and the UAE. We have developed an international assessment process that can be applied anywhere in the world and welcome applications from social enterprises across the world.
Proven track record
We have over ten years’ experience of social enterprise accreditation and providing credible standards to support genuine social enterprises to prove their credentials
We have developed a comprehensive pathway to standards of good practice and excellence via our evolving portfolio of externally assessed accreditations.
Social Enterprise Mark CIC exists to recognise and build the capabilities of social enterprises as competitive, sustainable businesses, dedicated to maximising social impact above shareholder profit.
To assure the social enterprise business model remains ethical, credible and commercial through accreditation
A world in which there is commitment to social enterprise as a means to achieve positive social and environmental change
We strive to be:
- Be advocates of our social enterprise community
- Be a voice for the social enterprise sector
- Advocate for social enterprise to be part of every supply chain
- Help to grow the social enterprise sector
- Work in partnership with people that make a difference
- Meet people where they are and support them to reach their aspirations
- Be true to the belief that change is possible through collective action of many
- Involve stakeholders in the development of the standards
Fair, clear and robust
- Provide accreditation that recognises where an organisation is in their development
- Support organisations to reach standards of good practice and continue to improve and develop
- Be consistent, transparent and rigorous in applying checks and identifying evidence that meets the standards
Innovative & responsive
- Be responsive to the needs of our clients and customers
- Take measured risks
- Take inspiration from elsewhere and apply it pragmatically to a situation or problem
- Be creative/agile in finding solutions
* The calculation of the median average turnover (which shows the middle point of all listed turnover figures) is based on the reported turnovers of Mark holders that held accreditation in 2018/19 and 2019/20.