Place Category: Employment
Pluss is a Social Enterprise that supports over 5,000 people with disabilities and other disadvantages move towards and in to employment each year. We do this through a range of specialist, local employment services and through direct employment within our commercial businesses. We employ 500 staff, around half of whom have a disability. We passionately believe that our services should always include people furthest from the labour market and that people should be empowered to succeed.
Our highly experienced staff teams successfully support customers to find and retain work every day and over the years this has given us a deep and thorough understanding of disability in the workplace. We are a Community Interest Company with an annual turnover of £28 million. We have a successful track record of delivering and managing a diverse range of contracts including specialist services for people with a learning disability, mental health issues, general disability, and long term health issues. We currently deliver employability contracts on behalf of DWP, Local Authorities, NHS, European Social Fund and the Funding Skills Agency. We also advise and support around 2,500 employers to recruit and retain staff with a disability. Our commercial enterprises offer progressive training and employment opportunities to people with a disability.
Social Impact Declaration: Social-Impact-Declaration_Pluss.pdf
Social Impact Statements:
Social Impact Statements
The Social Enterprise Mark criteria includes a requirement that the applicant can demonstrate that social and/or environmental objectives are being achieved.
In support of this, new applicants and renewing Mark holders must submit Social Impact Statements that summarise their headline activities and achievements, helping show how they are striving to make a difference and stand up to scrutiny of purpose as a social enterprise.
Updated March 2017
1) Welfare to work service for people with disabilities and health conditions
Pluss is a social enterprise specialising in welfare to work services for people with disabilities and health conditions who need specialist, intensive help to gain and retain work.
We currently deliver employability contracts on behalf of DWP, Local Authorities, NHS, European Social Fund and the Funding Skills Agency. We also advise and support around 2,500 employers to recruit and retain staff with a disability, and promote the benefits of employing people with a disability within the community through Disability Confident events. Our commercial enterprises offer progressive training and employment opportunities to people with a disability.
Our approach is based on our understanding that it is often not a person’s disability or health condition that is the limiting factor in their search for work. Just as challenging can be society's preconceived ideas, inflexible recruitment procedures (online applications/panel interviews) and lack of opportunity for jobseekers to showcase their skills.
Our solutions include:
- For customers – Inspiring self-confidence, aspiration and the presumption of employability in each person, co-produced development plans, job matching and specific interventions such as specialist communication tools, talking therapies and job coaching in the workplace.
- For employers – Support around creative recruitment (working interviews, traineeships, internships, job carving), reasonable adjustments, accessible communications and bespoke disability awareness training.
Our innovation includes:
- Three Project SEARCH sites in Devon - an internship programme that helps people with complex learning disabilities / autism find work (70% job outcome rate).
- A specialist employment service for people with profound learning disabilities / autism, many of whom have never worked before, may not read or write and have limited / no verbal communication (70% now in paid work).
- Our Social Enterprise operations create intermediate employment through ‘Pluss Traineeships®’ providing the opportunity to work for 4-6 months, fully paid to develop skills and confidence. Our Traineeship model now extends to flourishing partnerships with private sector companies.
- Bridge 2 Employment in Plymouth - supporting ex-service personnel on ESA into paid work through furniture-making using recycled scaffold planks.
- A specialist employment service for people with complex and enduring mental health issues run in partnership with NHS Devon and Torbay Care Trust.
- The Personal Youth Mentor Network, supporting young people across the South West needing vital mentoring support.
2) Helping people move into work
We work with over 5,000 people every year to help them move towards and into work.
We are the largest Social Firm in the UK. Over 50% of our 500 staff have a disability – which gives us unique insight into disability and employment.
We are a national partner in the Governments ‘Disability Confident’ campaign. Our regional roll out of the campaign has been highly successful both in terms of securing jobs and in persuading thousands of employers that people with disabilities make outstanding employees.
3) Supporting people to gain employment
Please click here for statistics on the numbers of people with a disability Pluss has supported to gain employment.
Please click here for a case study, demonstrating the impact our work has on beneficiaries.