Place Category: Home improvements
Help & Care Development is a wholly owned subsidiary of the charity Help & Care.
Help & Care Development Ltd delivers the Handiworks Plus service – a one stop shop for home repairs and maintenance. The service is a membership scheme, providing a safe and quality driven experience for its members through police-checked reliable contractors. Help & Care staff deal with all the financial transactions providing even more assurance.
Members of Handiworks Plus can call one number to report any repairs or household maintenance issues and we will arrange for an appropriate police-checked tradesperson to carry out the work required. Tradespeople are experienced, competitively priced and skilled in their trade.
Any profit made from the Handiworks Plus membership fee is used to fund Help & Care’s charitable work.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Social Impact Statements
The Social Enterprise Mark criteria includes a requirement that the applicant can demonstrate that social and/or environmental objectives are being achieved.
In support of this, new applicants and renewing Mark holders must submit Social Impact Statements that summarise their headline activities and achievements, helping show how they are striving to make a difference and stand up to scrutiny of purpose as a social enterprise.
Updated November 2017
1) Providing a safe quality home maintenance service
Handiworks Plus provides the following services:
- TV/aerial/home entertainment
- Gas works
- Double glazing repairs/work
- Window cleaning
- Tree surgery
Our liaison with the customers via our administration team or the contractors also provides a wellbeing and safety function by identifying vulnerabilities or changing circumstances and subsequently engaging with appropriate health or social care services if appropriate.
Any profit made from the Handiworks Plus membership fee is used to fund Help & Care's charitable work.
2) Example measures of activity
Handiworks Plus has a membership of between 500 and 600 at any one time - figures are shown below for the last three years:
Year Members end March Total jobs in year Total jobs per member 2014/15 537 1,054 2 2015/16 543 1,362 2.5 2016/17 585 1,448 2.5
It serves the Bournemouth, Poole and East Dorset conurbation specifically:
- Bournemouth - 294
- Poole - 166
- Christchurch – 49
- East Dorset – 74
- Purbecks - 11
- 594 members in total (as of 02.05.17)
The majority of our members tend to be older people, most recently:
- Age over 65: 294 members
- Over 85 yrs.: 137 members
- 100 years +: 2 members
Our youngest member is 35 years of age.
3) Benefits for members
Safety and security
The service is designed to minimise the risk for people when dealing in the open market and purchasing home maintenance and improvement services. The customer engages with a local and trusted charity (Help & Care, the parent company) to broker the relationship and the transaction on their behalf. They do so in the knowledge of the following benefits:
- All contractors have been vetted by Help & Care through an interview process including taking up references
- Police checks are undertaken via the DBS process
- All rates for the work are published
- No financial transaction takes place between customer and contractor: Help & Care facilitate this
- Customer feedback / complaints handling is undertaken via Help & Care and not the contractor
Value for Money / affordability
- All rates are published and therefore the customer is very clear about the hourly charge
- If a job is more complex / costly than the client anticipated, the customer and administration staff are alerted by the contractor as soon as possible
- Prices are designed to be very competitive
- There are no call out fees and no charges for basic estimates
- The 1st hour charges are made for sub divisions of an hour. Members are only invoiced when they have signed off on a job
- The key feature of Handiworks Plus is that the same quality service is offered to all members
- After the first years membership (£30) renewals are reduced to £27
- In light of the demographic profile, the service maximises that chances of people continuing to live independently (and safely) in their own homes.