Place Category: Health & Social Care
Care Opinion is a Sheffield-based social enterprise. It is the UK’s leading independent non-profit feedback platform for health services.
Care Opinion runs a website that allows patients to share their stories about using health services, and then encourages health services to respond to that feedback, showing when they make a change. We believe that online public feedback is a powerful way to help make health services better.
Care Opinion works because health care organisations are able to easily hear this feedback and share it across staff. When organisations work with Care Opinion, their staff are alerted to relevant feedback, respond, resolving issues in real-time and showing when they make improvements in care.
Here’s a short animation that shows how this works:
Social Impact Declaration: Social-Impact-Declaration_Care-Opinion.pdf
Social Impact Statements:
Social Impact Statements
The Social Enterprise Mark criteria includes a requirement that the applicant can demonstrate that social and/or environmental objectives are being achieved.
In support of this, new applicants and renewing Mark holders are asked to respond to a set of social impact questions, which are designed to help them think about the social impact they create, and to articulate this clearly and succinctly.
Updated August 2018
1) What social differences and changes have you aimed to create (or supported)?
Care Opinion enables people to have a voice in a free and safe environment:
- people can share honest feedback easily and without fear
- stories are directed to wherever they can help make a difference
- everyone can see how and where services are listening and changing in response
Care Opinion also enables socially disadvantaged groups to feed back when their voice may not ordinarily be heard, or they might not be aware of how to give their feedback due to lack of awareness and opportunity to do so. In the last new year features on Care Opinion has further increased the online engagement of people who are more socially disadvantaged through platform developments.
2) What actions have you taken to address the above social aims?
Care Opinion is constantly in development for the benefits of the wider public and NHS Staff. Developments in 2017/18 have included:
- Enabling people to share their stories in a safe and non-judgemental way
- Focus on ensuring those that have either learning disability or are socially disadvantaged are able to provide feedback; to achieve this care Opinion has made various improvements to the platform to encourage usage by these groups either through online improvements or by allowing feedback to be submitted by non -digital means.
3) What has changed and what benefits have been realised as a result of your actions?
Care Opinion feels that as a result of these improvements made to the platform the following groups have benefitted:
- The wider public
- People with either learning disabilities or restricted access to an online service
- Subscribers and organisations we work with
- Internally within Care Opinion
In the last year Care Opinion has placed a monetary calculation of the donation of time it makes by providing services for free to NHS provider organisations – this has been calculated to be £35,000.
Care Opinion regularly reviews impact the following metrics:
- Numbers of stories shared
- Numbers of site visits
- Numbers of staff listening and responding to stories
- Number so f changes made as a result of stories
4) How do you and other people know your aims are being achieved? Or how will you know?
Care Opinion regularly monitors usage and site statistics along with regular conversations with subscribers to the service to ensure they are happy and are getting value from the platform
Story volumes and numbers of stories continue to rise.
We are also now beginning to use financial valuations in certain areas to consider value given.
The below questions are not mandatory, but Mark holders are encouraged to answer them where possible, to provide a fuller account of their social outcomes and the social value they create.
5) How many people have benefitted from your actions?
To date Care Opinion has 295,000 stories and over almost 8,000 staff listening and learning from those stories.
Location wise Care Opinion covers the entire UK and has locations in Stirling and Sheffield.
People who benefit include:-
- Recipients of UK health and social care
- Relatives of the above
6) What examples can you provide of a typical service user experience, that helps illustrate the benefits they have experienced as a result of your actions?
Care Opinion has several case studies which are available on our platform to read for all:
7) What additional social benefits have you been able to deliver within your core services that distinguish you from other “for shareholder profit” providers?
Care Opinion helps people, particularly those disadvantaged, to feel they are being heard. This is an intangible and also invaluable consequence of the service.
Care Opinion also helps raise morale with NHS staff and helps reduce complaints, costs of complaints are significant and in 2012 the average cost of an NHS complaint was estimated to be £6,000.
Care Opinion has been proven to reduce clinical staff time in dealing with admin and complaints.
Care Opinion annually dedicates time to providing a basic level of free service to all NHS organisations – this has been costed to reflect that care Opinion annually donates time services valued at circa 35k to the NHS.
8) What social and environmental benefits have you created from internal operational policies and actions?
Benefits for Employees:
- Care Opinion is a living wage employer
- Care Opinion is a collaborative social enterprise that values and collaborates closely with staff by holding regular development days to explore new ways or working both with subscribers and staff
- Care Opinion always sends staff / team members to meetings and events by public transport to help reduce their carbon footprint – a few years ago this was calculated to have saved 7600kg of Co2 in 2012 – care Opinion still operate sin this way
Financial investment isn’t quantified at this stage.