- More Info
- Related Listing
- Social Impact Declaration
- Social Impact Statements
York St John University is an outstanding university, known for its academic excellence and responsive nature, always putting the student at the heart of everything it does. Our magnificent campus is located in the centre of the historic City of York. Our eleven-acre site on Lord Mayor’s Walk is in a stunning setting facing the world-famous York Minster across the city walls.
Social Impact Declaration: Social-Impact-Declaration_York-St-John-University.pdf
Social Impact Statements:
Social Impact Statements
The Social Enterprise Gold Mark criteria includes a requirement that the applicant can demonstrate that social and/or environmental objectives are being achieved.
In support of this, new applicants and renewing Mark holders must submit Social Impact Statements that summarise their headline activities and achievements, helping show how they are striving to make a difference and stand up to scrutiny of purpose as a social enterprise.
Updated September 2016
1) Engaging with the local community to transform lives
York St John University works to make a contribution to the wider community, and it is our pledge to continue to work in partnership with our staff, students, partners and stakeholders to increase awareness and develop new initiatives that will have a positive impact and help transform lives.
The University reaches out to the community in so many ways. Examples of our engagement include:
- project engaging military veterans in archaeology
- community arts projects
- help for a women’s support group
- courses for foster carers
- a theatre project involving the prison service
- access to low cost mental health support
- a specialist service supporting domestic abuse and violence
- extensive work in schools:
- encouraging engagement in youth theatre and drama
- addressing autism, language and learning difficulties, body image, bullying, sexual abuse and exploitation
2) Widening participation in sports activities
Our sports provision (YSJ Active) is focused on widening participation:
- running a nationally accredited inclusive fitness programme
- a wellbeing programme
- bike rides for cardiac recovery
- targeting female participation in sport and exercise, embracing people from faith communities and groups that might have particular dress or single gender requirements
We continue to invest in the campus as part of our strategic aim of developing a ‘sport and wellbeing for all’ agenda. The facilities on Haxby Road in York are available to the wider community, including professional sports clubs.
3) Working in partnership
We host conferences, courses and events promoting social economy, accommodating groups such as travellers and refugees, have a partnership with mental health service providers, and have our own theatre company and choir to bring about engagement with the community and develop skills.
It is also our aim this year to raise the profile of our pledge and encourage like-minded businesses to follow suit.