The Wesley is an independent 4-star hotel in Euston, London. The hotel is committed to sustainable business and social responsibility and is the only hotel to have been awarded the Social Enterprise Mark CIC.
Hilda Porter founded the Methodist International House in 1950, originally to welcome international students to the UK who were otherwise unable to find affordable accommodation in cities such as London, Manchester, Bristol and Birmingham. In the late 1990s, this then gave birth to the new social enterprise organisation, the Methodist International Centre (MIC) and moved to a building in London, now known as The Wesley Hotel.
It is amazing to think that the hotel started as a simple student hostel with basic hotel accommodation and conference rooms. One thing that hasn’t changed over the last 70 years is the self-funding sustainable ethos, which is still part of The Wesley’s key values and organisational focus. Since 1950, what is now known as The Wesley has supported tens of thousands of students, who have received financial support, including accommodation and hospitality, as a direct result of Hilda Porter’s vision. This work is very much alive and well today. The Wesley in its present form addresses the need for hospitality for those who in their everyday life are seeking to live more ethically and sustainably.
Unfortunately, Covid-19 has hit the hospitality industry hard and The Wesley is no exception to this. The hotel is still open for business (although the restaurant and bar will be closed during the November lockdown), but they have seen a noticeable downturn in bookings since the first lockdown in March.
However, despite the impact of Covid, they continue with their work and are delighted to still be on track to open a second social enterprise hotel in May 2022. This will be a 40-bedroom 4-star hotel in Camden Town.
- Gift aid of all profits to support the Methodist Church’s educational activities
- Increased employment opportunities with a growing ethical hospitality
- Learning and development culture epitomised by Investors in People Gold Award. Fair payment to employees and stakeholders
- Camden Council Carbon Champion
- Green Tourism Gold Award
- Clear environmental policy since 2010; monitors and tracks carbon footprint
- Recycled all food waste since 2012
- BREEAM Excellent rating for new hotel in Camden Town (opening in 2022)
The Wesley’s story actually goes back much further though to Methodism’s founder John Wesley. 226 years after his death, John Wesley ‘s philosophy is as relevant and inspirational today.
To celebrate their 70th anniversary, The Wesley is offering a special rate for social enterprises booking room hire or hotel rooms for meetings/stays before the end of the year (except 31st December):
- Room hire (day rate) – £100 (2-6 delegates) / £150 (6-10 delegates / £250 (10-14 delegates)
- Hotel stays – £55 room only/£65 B&B (£10 supplement for twin/double occupancy)
To claim these special rates simply quote ‘social enterprise rate’ when booking.